Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Erin: Not For Sale

How was my Thanksgiving? Well, I travelled with my family down to Bucks County, PA, where we met up with my brother-in-law's family and had dinner. I took the following two days off from work, and was really upset when I had to go back. It was almost like returning from New York--"I've had this sweet vacation, and now I have to go back to this???

During my vacation, I read a book, How to Form a Nonprofit Corporation. I'm seriously thinking of incorporating myself as a not-for-profit organization. Nonprofit organizations are the ones who get the huge grants, and having a lot of money is what I need right now. Part of the organization's salary would cover my salary and benefits, so I wouldn't have to work or go looking for a job.

This morning, I called Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts, and asked to see how I can get a free lawyer. Once everything was incorporated, that lawyer would be on my board of directors, offering legal advice.

As it turns out, they actually offer a seminar that can help you put a nonprofit together. The next one is December 10th, but I can't go, because a.) It's in New York and b.) I have a driving lesson that day. The seminar also costs $425. $425 might sound like a lot, but considering all the profits I could incur at a later point, doesn't really sound too bad. The only problem is, $425 can put a serious dent in my bank account. While I have more than that in there, I've already paid some serious credit card bills this month. Maybe I can get some web design jobs to cover that expense. Hopefully, I'll have the money for it by the next time they offer a seminar.

In other news, I just got a MySpace message from BlueCat that Gordy Hoffman is offering another seminar next weekend in Rochester. I'd go to that too, if there was only more time to write some material.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,