Thursday, July 02, 2009

Indiewood and the "Hipster Market"

c/o CineVegas' Twitter

Reuters has published an article on "Hipster Movies", which the article defines as:

The pics are trying to be the next "Garden State," a 2004 film that, like other hipster pics, can be generally defined as trafficking in moody music, casual style and characters who are disaffected.

Some movies that might fall into this category include Juno, Little Miss Sunshine, and Napoleon Dynamite also fall into this category.

Anyway, the article reminded me of why I liked--dare I still call it this--mumblecore in the first place. I liked Juno and Napoleon Dynamite, and Away We Go and 500 Days of Summer weren't too bad, either. However, as far as I'm concerned, these movies can put the hippest music on their soundtracks, dress their characters in American Apparel and have them act as disaffected as possible, but all these movies do at the end of the day is re-invent the wheel. They're made and marketed to make their money back, not out of a real passion.

All of the angst over hipster movies has me anticipating Humpday's premiere on VOD!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,