Monday, December 03, 2007

Outta My System

Before I discovered Mumblecore or even made a documentary, I wrote three spec scripts. The quality of these scripts varied, I suppose. Obviously, I didn't sell them, or otherwise, you'd be reading a very different blog right now.

By the time I had finished up the last script, I'd grown discouraged and frustrated. Joining a screenwriting group who kept saying "No, you can't do it this way because they don't like that" didn't help matters. I felt like that this was my major creative outlet, and I was being deprived of being able to do it the way I wanted to. Besides, who are they, anyway?

This past Friday Night, something happened. I was working the register when I decided it was time to confront some of these old demons. The next day, I wrote a scene for a movie, just to let the whole thing play out. I was too embarassed to finish it, but I got the whole thing out of my system. Whether or not it will find its way into an actual movie remains to be seen.

Now that I got this out of my system, what am I going to write?

Labels: , ,