Friday, September 28, 2007

Reading For Pleasure

I need to start reading more for pleasure. It makes me more creative. It's been incredibly long time since I've anything out of genuine curiousity, as opposed to research or trying to learn a new skill. Well, actually, I have read stuff for pleasure the past couple of years, I'm just able to enjoy it now.

Right now I'm working on reading two books: Virginia Woolf's The Waves and Alanna Nash's Golden Girl, a biography of Jessica Savitch. The former is an austere inner monologue (or monologues) about a group of friends, the latter a biography of Jessica Savitch. I became interested in reading Golden Girl after someone linked to the following video at this board:


Some other things I would like to read:

The New Science, Giambattista Vico: I bought this book after Christmas 2004, and have already attempted to read it twice. Now that I think I have enough background, I'm ready to read it, or at least I am gravitating toward it.

Metamorphoses, Ovid: Here's another one I've been "In the mood for". Having dug deep enough into mythology, I'm very interested in learning more about the more surrealist aspects of mythology, which is harder to get from more general books.

Aeneid, Virgil: I'm still on a Greek kick. Other than that, I'm not really sure why I want to read this one.

Tomorrow I'll be going up to my sister's to attend the Gordy Hoffman seminar on Sunday. The last time I dealt with my screenwriting with other people, it burned me, and at that time, I almost lost interest. I felt like the people involved in the group were more interested in the career aspects of screenwriting, which at that time wasn't my thing--and still isn't. I can understand proper format, like to make sure that you put the directions and dialogue in the right spots, but who really cares if they put "we go back to..." instead of "BACK TO SCENE"? I'll keep an open mind, though.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,